By Nicole von Gaza
Built: c. 1892-93
This stately Queen Anne mansion was built for William J. Alexander, a successful Butte grocer who came to Butte in 1880. The home rests on a granite stone foundation and is wood frame with brick veneer. The only alterations are a relocated third-floor stairway, and an addition on the rear (east) side.
Alexander’s grocery was at 64 W. Park Street, but the neighborhood of this home was served by the Crystal Street Grocery one block south at Granite Street (northwest corner; closed after a 1973 fire; a vacant lot today) and Finley’s Grocery at Quartz and Jackson Street (southeast corner).
Photos by Richard Gibson