Architect: Henry M. Patterson
Irish-born lawyer and businessman John H. Curtis constructed this lavish four-story Queen Anne style commercial building in 1892. A skillful designer combined gables, turrets, arched and keyhole-shaped windows, carved stone, and decorative metal to produce one of Butte’s most treasured landmarks. This outstanding showpiece of Victorian-era commercial architecture has served various functions including music hall, theater, saloon, and rooming house. While the untouched façade of the upper floors recalls the exuberant 1890s, the ground floor accommodated Gamer’s Confectionary beginning about 1904. Today it is a restaurant of the same name.
Modified from historic plaque by Montana Historical Society. Photos by Richard Gibson.